Protecting your privacy is important to us!
Which data is affected?
These are personal information that you provide to us, including your name, email address, telephone number and billing history. Out of consideration for our customers and where the context requires, personal information also includes browser data, location data, IP addresses and internet usage data.
What data do we collect and process?
All data we collect and process is solely related to the optimal provision of the Sky Sport® / Sky Show® / Sky Store® services and its various features. In general, we collect two categories of personal data:
data that we need to enable you to use the Sky Sport® / Sky Show® / Sky Store® services;
- data that enables us to provide you with additional features.
Data in the first category is the data you need to provide to us so that you can access and use Sky Sport® / Sky Show® / Sky Store® services.
The first category includes:
- Registration data: This is the data that allows us to identify you so that you can access and use our services. In particular, when you register for the Sky Sport® / Sky Show® / Sky Store® service, we may ask you for information such as your first and last name, language preferences, password and email address. When you sign in to the Sky® service using credentials from a third party application (such as Facebook), you allow us to collect your authentication information, such as your username and encrypted credentials, in encrypted form. We may also collect other information available on or through your third-party application account including, for example, your name, profile picture, country, place of birth, email address, date of birth and gender. You may also voluntarily add other information to your profile, such as your mobile phone number.
- Account data: This is the data you provide to us to set up your user account, e.g. bank account details, billing address, correspondence address, your contact details when you contact us to enquire about our services. When you sign up for one of our subscriptions (as defined in the Terms of Service) or make other purchases through the service, your credit or debit card information (such as card type and expiry date) and other financial information we need to process your payment may be collected and stored by us and/or the payment providers we work with. We may also collect limited data such as your postcode, mobile phone number and details from your transaction history, all of which are necessary to provide the service. In addition, payment providers typically provide us with limited information about you by default, such as a unique token that allows you to make further purchases using the information you have stored, your card type, expiry date and some digits of your card number.
The second category includes:
- Technical and service data: This is data that relates to, among other things, URLs, cookie data, your IP/MAC address, the type of devices you use to access or connect to the Sky Sport® / Sky Show® / Sky Store® service, unique device ID, device characteristics, network connection type and provider, but also the browser type or language. This information enables us to tailor our services to your language and, inter alia, to restrict our services to certain countries in accordance with our contractual obligations with content providers.
- Data about your web browser: This is data that we need in order to provide you with features that may require additional information about your web browser or may require you to access certain settings on your web browser to enhance the Sky Sport® / Sky Show® / Sky Store® experience, although this information is not required to use our service.
- Mobile Device Data: This is data that we need in order to provide you with features that may require additional information on your mobile device or may require you to access certain services on your mobile device to enhance the Sky Sport® / Sky Show® / Sky Store® experience, although this information is not required to use our service.
- Usage Data: This is data from your interactions with our service, such as interactions with trailers, movies and series, third-party applications, advertisements associated with or provided through Sky Sport® / Sky Show® / Sky Store®, about your favourite programmes, which is recorded and analysed in order to customise and develop our services and to provide personalised offers. When you use or interact with the Sky Sport® / Sky Show® service, we may use a variety of technologies that collect information about how you access and use the Sky Sport® / Sky Show® / Sky Store® service.
What is the purpose of the collected and processed data?
We may collect and process data for the following purposes:
- Offering our services: We process contact, account and service data in order to set up our services and offer further development and personalisation. This involves providing our services, technical support, hardware and software upgrades and billing. We store and analyse your usage data in order to make and send automatic suggestions (e.g. film suggestions) based on your previous viewings and for billing purposes. The stored data enables us to continuously improve our services and expand our range. Based on this data, we work to the best of our ability to make our services easier, more personalised and more reliable.
- Improving our services: We may use general data to suggest improvements to our services or to conduct market research on our existing services. To improve our overall services and combat fraud, we use data related to your use and access of our services, as well as data collected in your comments on our services.
- Respond to a request from a judicial authority: We may disclose information in response to a request from a judicial authority and as permitted by law. These disclosures may be made without your knowledge, consent or notice.
Who may your data be shared with?
We share your data with third parties for various purposes as described below:
- Service Providers: We work with other companies who undertake certain services on our behalf or help us provide our services to you. For example, we work with service providers in the areas of marketing, infrastructure and IT services to personalise and improve our service, to process credit card or other payment transactions, to provide a customer assistance service, to collect debts and to process and administer consumer surveys. In the course of providing these services, these service providers may access your personal information or other information about you. We do not permit them to use or disclose your personal data except in the course of providing their services.
- Third Party Providers: Data may be disclosed for the purposes of contract performance where direct contractual relationships are entered into with them as part of your Sky subscription.
- Cooperation and distribution partners: We may pass on data for billing purposes if your subscription was obtained through such a partner (e.g. IPTV provider).
- Credit reference agencies: Data may be passed on if it is necessary for age verification purposes.
- Lawyers: We may pass on data in case of legal advice if it is necessary.
- Public authorities: We may pass on data if it is necessary to fulfil overriding legal obligations.
- Sky Group companies, Comcast Corporation Group parent companies such as NBC Universal: Data may be shared for the purposes of marketing, advertising, for internal administrative purposes and the technical provision of products and functions.
Personal data transferred within, or outside Sky may also be transferred to and processed in other countries, including in the European Union or the European Economic Area, but also outside the European Economic Area (e.g. USA). We will only transfer your personal data to countries that ensure an adequate level of data protection or, in the absence of such legislation, that guarantee adequate protection based on appropriate measures (e.g. standard data protection clauses approved by the European Commission or other appropriate safeguards).
You can request additional information in this regard and obtain a copy of the safeguards provided by using the form, selecting "Account Information / Privacy & Data" as the subject of your inquiry: please provide the same email address you used to create your Sky account, as well as your customer number (visible in "my account").
How do we protect your data?
We have established a task force responsible for the security of our network, the security of our IT infrastructure and the security of our information systems. We apply reasonable and appropriate technical and regulatory solutions to protect your data.
What is our data retention policy?
Your personal data will be stored until they are no longer necessary for the purposes for which they were originally collected or processed and if there are no longer any legal obligations to retain them or they are no longer necessary for the assertion, exercise or defence of legal claims.
How can you change your privacy settings?
You have several options to change your privacy settings: by email, phone, post or via the Sky Sport® / Sky Show® / Sky Store® platform. You can also contact our customer service team via the "Contact us" page on our website.
What are your data subject’s rights?
You have the right to request information about whether we process personal data about you and, if so, what personal data we process. You also have the rights to request the rectification, disclosure, transfer and deletion of your personal data. You further have the right to request that we no longer use your data for direct marketing purposes. Please note that if we action your rights, it may no longer be possible for us to provide you with all of our services.
We hope that this notice will help you to understand our commitments to data protection and privacy.
Sky Switzerland SA
Puits Godet 12